Doing What I Can - Raphael Saadiq


"Your life and my life is not so predictable. 
Me and you gotta know which way we wanna go. 
My life, has been an up and down struggle.
But now, today, I know which way I got to go.
Go, I'm just doing what I can, just doing what I can." 

The first ten seconds of this song will draw you in completely; it's arranged BEAUTIFULLY. I was in high school when this solo album dropped and I already knew about Raphael Saadiq from the wonderful Tony Toni Toné & short -lived Lucy Pearl. However, even though I had heard his music for years, I never really knew too much about him as a person. 
I think "Doing What I Can" was the introductory track to his first solo debut because of all the personal struggles that he went through in his life. I learned more about R. Saadiq's life from this song more than any other. It just reiterates the fact that everyone has a story and that we have no idea what a person has gone through. 

And I always liked the voice over cameos on this track that tell his story. I instantly recognized the voice of the Bay's own Sway Calloway from years of hearing him on 106.1 KMEL and later seeing him on MTV. Thought it was cool for him to be on here especially since R. Saadiq was born in Oakland too. #BayArea!

Anyway, this track always reminds me of why I love Saadiq:

"Raphael is an ancient future brother, unconventional. Doing it his way and doin it well." :) 
#GospelDelicSoul




  Instant Vintage - Raphael Saadiq

0 comments:

Blogger Template by Clairvo