The News - Jack Johnson




"A billion people died on the news tonight 
But not so many cried at the terrible sight 
Well mama said 
It's just make believe 
You can't believe everything you see 
So baby close your eyes to the lullabies 
On the news tonight..."  

I absolutely love this song. The amazing thing is that it's only 2 minutes and 26 seconds but it still makes an impact. I heard this song for the first time during undergrad. I can't remember if I was a freshman or a sophomore at the time.

 It pretty much tells the story of the apathetic society that we live in these days partly due to the culture we live in. I think we're numb sometimes when we hear news that should be sobering; we sort of brush it off unless it's something truly egregious. And even then, we may care for a moment until Father Time ticks on and returns us to our apathetic state. I think this song is a reminder to not forget our humanity. Kudos to Jack Johnson for this one.

Full Lyrics at http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/44650/#pbX1bbhFo8TMUv5F.99

0 comments:

Blogger Template by Clairvo